Saturday, November 26, 2016

Another purchase

This morning I made the decision to make a Craigslist purchase for the shop. A four hour road trip and $448 for some plastic tubes, a bunch of fabric, some metal bits, and a two horse power motor.  The price for this used stuff was comparable to purchasing new from harbor freight or online, but I have better quality.

We left the three kids home to be able to fit it all into the van.  The parking brake is sticking on the truck.
If you have not guessed, I purchased a Grizzly Dust Collection system with a cyclone designed by the same guy who designs them for DOW Chemical for high dust environments.  has two bag filters, so it is going to take up a major amount of room.  If I can wedge it into the garage, that is where it will be going.

Also completed today was a nap, moving the Christmas tree upstairs, helping Nancy a little with organization of the sewing area.  And the girls helped me get the bandsaw from the floor up onto the stand.  The bandsaw is very heavy, Nancy and I decided it was too heave for us to lift together.  After getting it on the stand I have started with the steps to get it running.

The band saw is not yet ready to run, I am taking my time to read the instructions.  It took a while to mount the saw, then I "lost" the bolts to hold it down the base.  I found them with all the other bolts in an unopened bag of bolts sitting on my desk.  Then it took a half hour to remove the rust preventative from the table top, mostly soak time while I watched youtube videos.

Here is two proud girls showing the bandsaw they lifted.  I would tip the saw to the front or the back, Anna would place the thick board, then I would tip the other direction and Anna would place a second thick board, then Lilli would place two thin cross boards and we would repeat the process.  Sixteen times.  Then Nancy and I slid the saw over onto the base.

While waiting for the degreaser to soak I moved all the plastic shoe boxes from the desks to the floor.  This will allow me to work above the desks installing the shelves to hold the boxes.  For most of the evening I had youtube playing shop tour videos to learn what different people like and dislike about their shops.  Trying to glean some ideas.

Tomorrow I am going to visit a On30 layout that I have followed on facebook for quite a few years.

No comments: