Tuesday, December 23, 2014

right angle tool

So today Nancy and I went around to Sears and Lowes and some other stores buying stuff.  Got a large vice grips, and a dremel right angle tool.  That tool was well worth it.  I was able to drill holes in seconds that were taking minutes.  That was until I tried to drill through some bondo, ground down the tip of two brand new drill bits to uselessness.  Maybe it was three.

Today I also formed and installed another new mudflap.  Pondering if I should replace another.  The only issue is the one in place now is short, I have to run a rivet through the folded over lip of the electronics tray and some bondo, By making a new longer mud flap i can go through just one layer of metal.

I also drilled and ground out a path for the headlight wires.  This little 90 degree head is well worth the price.  And Nancy is great to help me get a 10 dollar discount on the tool.

Monday, December 22, 2014

installing rivets

Saturday I installed my first rivet, two actually.  It was a challenge since the gun I had was not meant for such a small shank.  Sunday I bought a new rivet gun that would work for small rivets.  I installed 9 rivets so far but now my drill bit is dull and not drilling through the mudflap flashing.

As expected, complaining about something on the internet fixed it.  Along with drilling out the other rivets on the part, drilling it with a backer board, and reinstalling it.

The last mud flap I choose to make a new one, the old one was the first one made and did not have enough material to attach to center tray.  New one fits great.  But it will still be a challenge to drill the holes and mount.  Wish I had a right angle drill that was small.... er... google says dremel sells one... and that Lowes has them in stock.  It is time for a tool run.

The girls and I did a run.  Well it was cheaper at Home Depot, but non in stock.  So a generic version was purchased from Menards.  Reviews of the Milescraft is 3.5 stars, dremel is 4.5 stars.





Wednesday, December 17, 2014

amazon delivery

Today the rivets for the mud flaps and the shrink tube arrived.

I also did the bidding of Nancy and threw together a "roller skate" to hold the SBT oak tops and the big batteries on wheels so I can tuck it in a corner of a shop, it is ugly but it works.  The rest of the day was spent sleeping or resting the flu going through our house and while I am not loosing anything I am wasted, and did not work today.



Sunday, December 07, 2014

electrical work

This weekend I sorted my wire by size, this jumble of three boxes of wires was just that a jumble of store bought and rescued from past projects.  I was looking for enough 18 -22 gauge to wire up the SBT.  I found 20 feet of 4 conductor 18 gauge that will work perfectly.


I also looked for and found a momentary switch for the enable test button in my collection.  What I do not have is shrink tubing.   Also before I wire it up I should mount the mud flaps.  I do not have rivets for this thin of metal.

I did drill the hole for running the headlight wires back to the center box where it will hook up to Robb's new control box he is working on.

Next task is to drill the hole for the enable test switch.  That will be fun since my drill is longer than area I have to fit in.

The electrical plan has been drawn up many times.  The three speed wires and one of the direction wires is going to a 4 pole three position switch mounted under the side of the machine.  This switch will decide between onboard, teather, and radio control.  Onboard and teather are going to be simple systems, speed and direction only.  The radio control will also have the complexity of headlight, horn, voltmeter, amp meter, and speedometer.  Though I am going to hide my current odometer inside the machine.  

There is a risk of someone changing control source to onboard and having the machine take off.  It is not supposed to do that per the design of the control board but it has happened this summer with the current setup, hence our use of the enable test button.  Not sure if  I can find a robust system to drop out the enable when the control is changed but not when the machine is jolted around.