Tuesday, April 18, 2017

next 3 feet

Tonight I moved on to installing track outside the shed.  I made it three feet.  Because I have it I am using 4x4's for the first ways, with both tracks attached one set of long ties. same what I am doing inside the shed.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

The first 16 feet

 Today I started laying rail on the railroad.  I started in the shed carbarn.  First I made five oak gauge blocks 7-9/16ths.  Then with Nancy's help we used a string line to give myself a centerline to follow.  The ties are two by sixes and other old wood we scavenged from a neighbors trash pile.  The kids enjoying their first ride.  pushing back and fourth.
Like the storage at the Maryland garage I used the 5/4 plywood as a shelf above the track.  The tracks, two of them, extend out the back.  There is no lift, and the floor of the carbarn is chipboard that is well warped and not up to the task.  The ties bridge from joist to joist but I still had to shim as the joist sags.

video
The troublesome tanks, coal car and blue flat are currently on the track, freeing up space on the floor of the shed.  Later I will bring the pink flat down from the garage.  I have a gist of a ROW outside but need to do a little planning to confirm it is a good choice.  The end goal is a loop with a siding, and a few spurs.  Only about 500 feet of track total.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Joint bars

I guess the above picture could be titled before the railroad the kids could only play with logs.  Soon they will have options.
But to have those options we need parts.  The first part is track.  Ties, Rails, Spikes, and joint bolts were all on hand.  But we needed to have joint bars.  Nancy picked up two lengths of 1/8th by 1/2" aluminum.  And I cut it to length with the bandsaw.  Then I Made a drilling fixture.  As I made the 18 sets of joint bars I refined the fixture.  It stared out just as two 3/16th plywood attached to a piece of 3/4" plywood.  I clamped the board to the drill press, then held the plate in place to drill.  I got tired of that so I added another 3/16th and a cross piece to hold the bar in place.  Then I only needed to shove the bar in and hold against the stop.  Then I added a relief at the end of the slot for the chips to fall out of the way of the bar.  Last I added two tall screws to catch any large spiraling chips so they did not hit my hand.  Making all the joint bars went quickly.
I used a tool with a hooked end to pull the finished joint bar out and into a large tub set on the floor.  The drilling order was all of hole one, then all of hole four, then back to two and last three.  This let the part cool between drilling for the sake of my finger.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

White Creek First visit of the season

Today Robb and I visited White Creek for the first time of the year.  I started out at the shop talking with the guys, there was about 10 people total.  Then I went out with Russ and we did some track maintenance... I removed sticks from the sidings while he and another guy fixed some low spots, twists, and other issues with the track.  Robb meanwhile was running his Clishay.  He made it about 2000 feet before loosing a bolt.  Then Robb and I went out with the electrics, my SBT and his boxcab.  The SBT made it about two miles before running out of juice, pulling the clishay riding car which has friction bearings that are not well greased.  Robb then double headed and helped me back to the station, where we loaded it all back up into his van and jumped his van and waited for my passkey to reset before going home.