Saturday, November 11, 2017

Rebuilding Storage Battery Truck

 It is time to rebuild the SBT. 
 Nancy repainted it after replacing the coupler pocket. 

 Jon asked me where wood comes from....

 So I used the bandsaw to show him with a piece of firewood.


 Then we worked on the SBT.

 I got the headlight mounted, the inner insert had come loose at some point but it just screwed in. 

 Plus the onboard controls...
There is a lot of work to do...
I need to make a new control lever
Pull the radio control out of loco 2 and install it
Rewire everything
Get a horn and bell
Get new batteries

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Turkeyville

For Jon's birthday we took the family to Turkeyville where Adam was running his steamer.  Jon had the opportunity to learn about running it.

The most important rule of a steam engine is to keep water in the boiler.
Then to have a good fire.
Then to keep things lubricated.














Saturday, October 14, 2017

Workbench

It is a rainy day, conducive to working in the shop.  I decided to finish off the workbench.  This included finishing a 41"x 7" area of the top.  Then I added a 3/4" backdrop to allow me to hang tools within easy reach.  I moved the vice from the center of the workbench to nearer one end, it felt in the way when centered.  I do wish I would have installed more outlets near the workbench, there is one in the middle and one on the left side, but none on the right edge.

Last I bolted the together the grizzly dust collection skate to allow me to stack white boxes on a rolling platform. 

Saturday, October 07, 2017

The end of the line

Today I worked in the morning for four hours.  Then a nap...  Then I installed the last of the ties I planed to install this year.  Then Lilli, Jon, and I loaded up the remaining ties on the flat and moved them into the shed.

I also spent some time cleaning up the shed, found the kids tents... so did the mice.

I also spent some time running the train back and forth, at full speed, with no derailments.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Storing the rail

Nancy and I moved the unused rail into the shed, I made a shelf above the door and we bundled the rail in sets of 4.  There is 4*(4+3+2+2+1+1)=624 feet pieces of new rail left to install.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

New Employee

The Mohawk and Lake Superior Railroad has a new employee.

We had to drive to St Louis to pick her up.


Not exactly certain of her duties yet.  Station agent, conductor, ROW inspector... etc.

Today I added a few ties to the line, but the magnet came out of the driver bit, which makes it very hard to hold ties, hold the screw, and drive the screw.  I chose to interview the employee and ride the train back and forth over the line instead.  She did take her first ride and was just fine with it. 

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Improving the track

Today I moved dirt onto the roadbed to improve stability of the track.  I have not tamped yet, but it is much improved.  I am able to run at speed step 10 with the pink and blue flat over the south half of the railroad.  The wagon and coal car will not traverse the route without derailing.  I have to fix both the cars and the route.












Saturday, September 16, 2017

Out of fishplates

Saturday was a busy day.  First I was out of ties so I cut the haul that Nancy got earlier to length and width.  That took until noon.  Then I drilled six rails on each end and bolted to the end of the line.  Then was moving some dirt onto the ties for about 30 feet.  Finally Lillian helped me attach the ties for 12 feet of rail.  Then Nancy helped me collect some wood for the fire.  I am sure there was more we did today.

I am out of fishplates.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

ten feet

Yes another ten feet tonight.   I ran both flats with both tanks from carbarn to the end of the line and back.  They derailed at the carbarn switch.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

ten feet

Added ten more feet of track today.  It has a low spot on one side in the middle so I can not ride the flatcar over it.