Thursday, March 30, 2017

shelf done

The shelf is done.  And loaded.  Soon I will unload it, sort through all the boxes, organize and then reload it in a more organized manner.

Or I may just leave it and go on to other projects.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017


 I continued adding the shelf at the end of the room.  The idea is to stack the white boxes on top double.  It is a tight fit but it will work.
I will add a few more braces, and one bolt to each joint to add some strength.  I already have bolts in the back four supports, need to add for the front four, and cut a board for the left side of the shelf.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

two more days two more walls

I continued the installing of the ductwork.

 Of main trunk lines I am done, I have to install the gates and branches to the machines.
I measured the airflow at the Y by the drill press at 37mph and at the chop saw at 41mph both are six inch ducts.  I have to measure at the bandsaw where it is also a six inch duct.

Next is to make the shelves that go along the short wall of the shop.  I started tonight by installing bracing in the ceiling for one hanging shelf that will be two white boxes tall.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

One wall done

Tonight I continued with the dust collection pipes.  The pipe is done, I need to make some gates and a box for the chop saw.  I may do the other direction first.

I also wonder if the first three outlets are too close together.

The first 4" is for the planer, the middle 5 inch is for the table saw and router, and the last 4 inch is for the joiner.  Then at the end a six inch opening for the chop saw.

I used the old railroad shelf brackets and two by fours as support brackets.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

continued dust collection

This past weekend the family and I trundled down to Toledo, while there I bought a 7-7-7 wye for my system.  Yesterday I started by putting in the 7-7-4 and a short 7 straight, tonight I followed up with the new wye and two corners to make a shallow 90.  I also installed one of the 4 inch gates on what will be the overhead to the table saw and router.

I also have been avoiding dust as I have been seeing a Dr about my sinus issues.  I had two weeks of antibiotics, and tuesday a CT scan.... 1.5 hours of waiting for a 2 minute scan... and 350 dollars out of my pocket.  I keep hearing deviated septum, small passageways, post nasal drip...

I told Nancy my plan is for two pieces each night.  I think that includes brackets.  Tomorrow I need to separate that wye on the left hand side of the picture from its pipe... if the last one was any indication... it will take a while.  I also need to install brackets to hold the next few pieces.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Dust Collection System

Tonight I started messing around with the dust collection system.  I capped the openings in the garage and attached the chip drum.  Then with the flow meter set to MPH I did some tests.  The photo above is at the first opening in the basement.  7 inch diameter is .276 ft2 and 43mph is 3784 mph  or 1011 cuft/minute

I added six elbows in a row and the speed dropped to 35MPH or 823CUFT/min

Next I added two four inch pipes.
First is the y pipe with the straight open.  It was 823cfm.
From the straight pipe with y open I got 500CFM
 And blocking off the y so all air was going through the 4 inch pipe.  97 MPH!!! or 743CFM.  About the same as I would have with 7 inch pipe and 12 sharp elbows.
The Y leg on it's own was not as impressive only 591 CFM.
Last here is a video of the y leg moving sawdust when the straight leg is blocked.
In other good news with the system on air was still flowing up the furnace chimney.  I was worried there would be a backdraft of makeup air.  Granted there is a windstorm outside so I will check on a calm day, and with the garage door open.