Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Railcar storage shelves

Today we cleaned up the garage, placing stuff on the car storage shelves.  After the floor was clear I parked both red vehicles in the garage.
Jonathan's car had pleanty of room.  Clifford....
Touching the shelf with the back bumper.
Three inches to spare at the front.
But he fits

Saturday, June 07, 2014

IMLS Videos

Here are a few videos of me or my brother Jeff running the Storage battery Truck Saturday morning at the IMLS 2014 spring meet in Mt Pleasant Iowa.










Here the cameraman got a cab ride.



Thursday, June 05, 2014

Load The Van

Friday we leave for the third track that will host the train.

The first two the van was set up as a two passenger vehicle.  This time we wanted it to be for five passengers, and the train.  So Nancy and I set the storage battery truck inside the gon, set a flatcar on top and rolled it into the middle of the van.



To make it easier we set up cribbing to work from.  It was not easy to get the SBT in the gon.  First we lifted it and set it on cross piece near the top, then we ran straps under it.  And while Nancy and I stood on the cribbing and lifted Anna was told to quickly remove the two cross braces so we could set the SBT inside the gon.  The issue was Anna confused quickly with carefully.  She moved very slow while we yelled at her to move faster. 
The plywood used here is the same one used last time in the back of the van.  I cut is narrower.  Now I can use this half as a five seat van with the wide part of the third row down or as we have it here in the center of the car.  Our thoughts are that by having the heavy train forward the van will ride better.  This is also how we plan to set up to go to Coshoctan in August.

Like before holes were drilled at the seat mount points so that I could strap the train down.
We stuck the large batteries and the tugger in rear trunk.  I don't think the tugger will make that trip, it is too large.  I might make a low side gon top to go on the frame.

One last picture from a week ago.  We got rid of all the old clay soil to the Easters farm and then got 3 loads of compost from the city to fill the trench and coat the front and back yard with an inch. 

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pictures from yesterday

Here are the pictures of the failed journals 
  The one on the left failed from the axle coming out.  rubbed against the bearing and teardropped the wood.

The one on the right was from the last derail.  Not sure what happened there, weak wood or something.  I admit the bearing looked fine so I reused it in the new block.
And today I did not take pictures.

Also today I assembled the trucks.  One of them had so much play from the bolster to side frames that the bearings would fall out of the wood.  I fixed that by making a new bolster.  Now I have 3 great bolsters, a good bolster and no bad ones.  The good one has a lot of play but i could not get the bearings out of the wood.

The batteries are charged, the trucks are made, now to get the van back and fill it with everything important for the next trip.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

remaking the trucks

Today I installed the wheels on the axles that Robb made as replacements for the ones that failed.

The picture shows a raw axle, the two failed axles, and the two new ones from Robb.

Another task of the evening was to try to push off the wheel that was spinning on the axle that came from Eaton so I could lock tite it in place.  Could not get it off more than a 1/8th of an inch.  I figured that was enough so I put a drop of lock tite on and pressed it back to the shoulder.

The last task of the night was to make 4 wood journal blocks, two to replace bad ones and two as spares.  Tomorrow I can bolt the trucks back together and check to see if the other set is good.

Nancy and I had a date night while Kayla watched the kids.  A visit to Panara for food and Menards for wood for the new top as well as faucets for the rain barrel and free* plates and a quart of red mistint paint.

*purchase for $2 each, and get a $2 rebate so all that is paid is the sales tax.  We bought 4 to use as gift holders.  Already gave one away to Kayla with a large chunk of graduation cake.  With Nancy it will be easy to give away the rest under cookies and other treats.


Monday, June 02, 2014

I See

Today I visited the local Walmart store after work.  Visiting a Walmart is a once or twice a year event in my life.  I might visit a Target about twice as often.  The goal of my visit was a driving light I saw on a plum cove GE while at Heston.  This beehive style light looked appropriate for use as a headlight on the storage battery truck.

To mount the headlight I made a little oak block that fits inside the riveted on bracket.  A screw from the bottom holds it to the running board and two stainless steel screws bolt the light to the wood.
I have not wired it up yet.  Leaving that one to Robb.  He is hoping that Jeff will take the storage battery truck to Michigan so he can play with it at a White Creek open run.  I said he would need to wire up remote control if that was the case.

Some of the other things I want to do. 

Make a new top without a warp
Attach the control stick better
Install the switch for direction control
Install radio control
Make a wood crate to fit over the batteries
Make riding crates for the flat cars
Put together a basic toolkit to travel with the train
Make and install a builders plate

My other purchases at Wally's World were some bottles of acrylic paint that was on clearance and a small journal that will fit in the storage battery truck to log the events in the life of the little loco.