Saturday, October 14, 2017


It is a rainy day, conducive to working in the shop.  I decided to finish off the workbench.  This included finishing a 41"x 7" area of the top.  Then I added a 3/4" backdrop to allow me to hang tools within easy reach.  I moved the vice from the center of the workbench to nearer one end, it felt in the way when centered.  I do wish I would have installed more outlets near the workbench, there is one in the middle and one on the left side, but none on the right edge.

Last I bolted the together the grizzly dust collection skate to allow me to stack white boxes on a rolling platform. 

Saturday, October 07, 2017

The end of the line

Today I worked in the morning for four hours.  Then a nap...  Then I installed the last of the ties I planed to install this year.  Then Lilli, Jon, and I loaded up the remaining ties on the flat and moved them into the shed.

I also spent some time cleaning up the shed, found the kids tents... so did the mice.

I also spent some time running the train back and forth, at full speed, with no derailments.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Storing the rail

Nancy and I moved the unused rail into the shed, I made a shelf above the door and we bundled the rail in sets of 4.  There is 4*(4+3+2+2+1+1)=624 feet pieces of new rail left to install.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

New Employee

The Mohawk and Lake Superior Railroad has a new employee.

We had to drive to St Louis to pick her up.

Not exactly certain of her duties yet.  Station agent, conductor, ROW inspector... etc.

Today I added a few ties to the line, but the magnet came out of the driver bit, which makes it very hard to hold ties, hold the screw, and drive the screw.  I chose to interview the employee and ride the train back and forth over the line instead.  She did take her first ride and was just fine with it. 

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Improving the track

Today I moved dirt onto the roadbed to improve stability of the track.  I have not tamped yet, but it is much improved.  I am able to run at speed step 10 with the pink and blue flat over the south half of the railroad.  The wagon and coal car will not traverse the route without derailing.  I have to fix both the cars and the route.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Out of fishplates

Saturday was a busy day.  First I was out of ties so I cut the haul that Nancy got earlier to length and width.  That took until noon.  Then I drilled six rails on each end and bolted to the end of the line.  Then was moving some dirt onto the ties for about 30 feet.  Finally Lillian helped me attach the ties for 12 feet of rail.  Then Nancy helped me collect some wood for the fire.  I am sure there was more we did today.

I am out of fishplates.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

ten feet

Yes another ten feet tonight.   I ran both flats with both tanks from carbarn to the end of the line and back.  They derailed at the carbarn switch.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

ten feet

Added ten more feet of track today.  It has a low spot on one side in the middle so I can not ride the flatcar over it.

Monday, September 11, 2017

six feet

Today Nancy bought 222 ties for 0.22 each and I added six feet of length to the mainline.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

On The Track

 Spent Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday at WC switching with Robb.
 Joe Scales and Dave Maddox helped me put better springs under the new car and it ran quite well, not derailing until late in the afternoon when the sun came out and it warmed up.  Same can be said for the tugger and Loco 2.
 Lots of people likes the wagon top gondola.
 Loco 3 was also enjoyed.
 Then Sunday morning the church had service at the location of the future building.  They are halfway to the 3 million goal.
 Sunday afternoon is unloading the truck.  First we rolled onto the lift.
 Then onto a board on a wagon, and strapped it down.
Then we brought the wagon down to the track where I made a ramp out of a couple 2x6 down to the track.  Nancy and I slowly ran the coal car, loco 2, and the tugger down the ramp to the track.

 Next I set the top speed of the loco at speed step 4 and slowly traversed the railroad a few times.

There were some derails, only once of the loco.  It is great to run on the track with a locomotive.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

New Railcar

 I spent a bit of time cleaning up the shop and I saw the returned Digitrax throttle that one of the buttons would stuck down.
 I was able to open up the hole in the case and reassemble, now it physically works but I do not know if it electronically works.
 I really like this car, it was at MCRR this weekend for the op session.
 Eventually I will build a few wood box cars.  One will be for barrel works.
 Joe having fun with his new mogul

 The underside of a couple of Tom's cars

 And my hopper behind Dick's.  Dick thought I was going good on the hopper, but I should change the trucks.
 Then it was time to switch with the Scott & Adam.
 Adam was learning his newly rebuilt 10 wheeler.
 Back home I decided to make a new railcar for my railroad.
 Drill a pilot.
 Check the center to center location and adjust as needed.
 Drill a larger pilot
 and have a centered hole.
 Then I made a jig to add safety chains to a Madee K frame.
 I used the same jig to add body mounting bolts.
 Conditions of assembly met
 Drilling for the safety chains

 The first body bolt
 And back to the safety chains, need to open them up
 Twist to the side not radially, it goes much easier.

 Nancy showing my fix so I can attach to the closed hook, file the wide spot a titch so it will go through the chain.
 Use two nuts to attach.

Done, Jon now has a new railcar.  I may have to play around with loading and springs.