Sunday, May 24, 2015

SBT moving cars



Sunday, May 17, 2015

getting ready

Tuesday night I am leaving for an ops session in Michigan.  Robb should have his loco up and running.  Three days of wayfreight operations on a 1/8th in scale railroad.

Yesterday and today I shuffled stuff around the garage to get ready.   I also added some spills to the two little tankers and made a 4 inch drawbar for in between them.  

Some time was also spent thinking about loco 2.  Something that will run with the tugger.  And I will say Robb's suggestion is right, make it work with the SBT.  So It will be a SBT style powered flat car (more flatcar than loco in style.)  Only one source of power, onboard batteries.  It will be also be able to be a T style riding car, but only about 24 inches long, wheels pretty close to the corners.  This would be in 1/4 scale to go with the SBT.  Then to go with the tugger a topper in the shape of a boxcar would be set in place.

I also want a couple plain flat cars 24 inches long to ride with the SBT.

Saturday, May 09, 2015

test run












video



Monday, May 04, 2015

test runs

 I put the tanks with the SBT for the first time tonight.  Above is a short video of me running the train via the onboard control and below is a still of the SBT with the two tanks. I tried switching like an inglenook but did not have enough tracks to do anything productive.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Upstairs, cleanup, and tanks

The SBT and support paraphanalia has been brought upstairs.  I should have taken a picture, this time we made a stretcher with two stud length 2x4s and cross braces.  Nancy said of all the times getting the machine up or down stairs this worked the best.
 I also brought up the batteries, couplers, chains, and all the other stuff.   This has given room to take down the table Nancy found on the side of the road.  It fits well in the space.
 The next task was mounting the tanks to the flats.   I drilled a 3/8th hole through the center sill and flat.  Then lined it up with the tank and drilled through to the wood brace inside.

 The bolts are 7 inches long since the wood is in the center of the tank.  One tank I got three inches of purchase, the other I only got one.
 It took some work to get the bolts in.  I used a ratchet with a cheater bar, strapping the tanks to the table.  It works well.

Next I attached the wheels, axles, and bearings.  Used red locktite to fix everything.  A good fit on the axles made it easy to align everything.  One tank I set on the dirty laundry, the other are in the old tank cradles.  Kudos to Mr-motion for his skill in turning the axles.

What these cars do not have but should is chain mounts.  For now I will use links instead of couplers.  I also want to add a bit of weathering.

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Electrical Testing

 If I could I would say that I am done wiring the SBT.  Truth is... nope.
 My onboard system goes 1.5 mph in forward, and is stopped in reverse.  I think I can fix this by modifying the settings on the board, if not I need to redo the resistor at the control.

The horn does not go beep beep beep... it just goes chir.... I think this is because the batteries are at 25.3V and it maxes out at 24.  It does work on a 9 volt battery.

The radio bypass 5k resistor is connected to the wrong terminals.  I will hook to the black and red wire instead of the red and green.

I need to make the tether throttle.  The handheld I bought off ebay has not arrived yet so I need to use a temporary box.
So some time has passed since the above.  I made the tether throttle.  Tested it all before soldering it up using alligator clip leads.  Speed and direction work fine.  But the horn... it makes the unit go about 3mph faster rather than nothing as it should since I used blue and brown wires and plan to hook up a second 9V battery.  The brown is capped right now.   AHHHHHHHH.   Opening up the case there is a short between the blue and white wire.  Fixed it and the horn now does nothing as it should.   Discovered another fact while hooking up the 9V... polarity maters to the speaker.  Well the horn works now, it will be rewired when the radio control is installed.

The last step is to see if I can fix the speed without changing the resistor.  I have the instructions in my hand....   The best I can get is 3.8mph forward starting at 5 degree rotation and 2 mph reverse starting at 25 degree rotation.   With the teather both forward and reverse top out at 11.8Mph.   Might want to put a small resister in there...

Radio bypass 5K - fixed
Tether box - completed
Horn - fixed
Speed adjustments -   operational

Next steps.  Temporary tether plug for those times I don't use the tether and bring it all up stairs.
Tomorrow I put together the tank cars.

Friday, May 01, 2015

More Electrical

Tonight I screwed the electrical boards to the frame.  I also hooked up some more of the wiring.  I hit a roadblock with the ammeter.  I forgot which wire is which and had to do some research to figure it out.  I now know.  I wish I could see both + and - amps but the meter only goes one direction.


Hook up ammeter
Hook up speedometer
Hook up radio control wires to terminals so I don't get an unexpected short
Hook up horn
Make tether throttle
Make tether plug
test run
In other news I picked up the batteries from the table and there was liquid under them.   I dried them off and placed them in a dry spot and will check in the morning.  They were producing 24.3 V but I think one of the four cells is leaking.