Sunday, November 30, 2014

it fits.... it doesn't work

Well  I used the drill press as a lathe to modify the bottom housing so that the 24v led will fit inside the headlight housing.  A die grinder bit in the dremel was the cutter.  Next I exchanged the prongs on the light for wires to go back to the switch inside the SBT.  I tested the wires on the 24V battery pack, it worked... then it did not.

Sigh.


Friday, November 28, 2014

Winter Rebuild

This weekend I started fixing the SBT.  Some of the things I want to do:
1) rivet in the mud flaps in place - duck tape is just so unprofessional.
2) move the signal test button from inside to under edge.
3) move the control selector to under edge.
4) install headlight wiring.
5) install arduino based radio control system.
6) change onboard pot to 1k and 3.3k resistor


So far I pulled out the guts and installed the 4 pole 3 position switch.  This will set speed and direction between the onboard, radio, and ... nothing, or a tethered remote.

I also started on the 24v LED light modifications so it will fit in the light housing.

Sunday, November 02, 2014

last run of the season

We stopped by the Boone RR on the way to the 7.5" track.
 I could buy a speader for less than the cost of my loco.

 Boone also has some trolley line.  how odd to see this flat car / building combination.
 This 2' gauge car was up front.
 Who knows if this is on loan or owned by Boone.

 the track was cold and windy.  I ran around once and rode once.  The rest of the time Jeff was running.

Yep that was it, 2 trains, 3 hours of running.