Thursday, December 31, 2015

Other Trains

We borrowed the LGB from uncle Robb.  After we removed 10 years of dust we got it to run.  The kids are impressed.

In the basement I trimmed the two sides of the box and glued on slats for the top.  The air compressor, a Viair 92C arrived today.  It is much smaller than we expected.

Friday, December 25, 2015

Coupler Pockets

Today I started work on three coupler pockets.  Two for #2 and one for the SBT.  I cut them to length and deburred them.  I have to drill the pin holes... next time.  I also have one more side to glue on the brake crate.  Four sides are glued, two have been trimmed with the router (yesterday.)

Also the last few days some effort has been extended to cleaning up the shop.  Scrap wood taken out to the fire bin, the vacuum emptied, sorting the raw stock piles... lots more to do.  I keep wanting to tear down the O scale layout so I can have more and better storage organization, instead many items are stored on top.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Safety Chains

Today Jon helped me mount some safety chains on the new car, as well as the pink flat.  They had chains at 8" centers which from experience may rub on a wheel or flange.  To fix it I brought them to 5 inch centers per IBLS.

In other news I am gluing the sides on the air compressor crate, one side last night, a second side today.  I also picked up a battery and a viair compressor from walmart.com.  The battery was same day ready for store pickup, I have to wait until the 4th for the compressor.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

siding trials

Yesteday and today I spent some time cutting up an old pallet to make strips  of siding wood.  This will be used to make a crate to cover the brake system of the riding car.  It is a test for making the siding on boxcar. The frame of the crate is 1/2 inch plywood and 2x4s.

 Lessons learned
 I can add a side chamfer but not a center grove
 Heavy grained wood does not look good
 I will need a zero clearance blade plate in order to cut smaller wood.
Use pieces longer than 16 inches, 18 to 20 inches would be better.
Expect to make a lot of sawdust.

Saturday, December 19, 2015

edging

Today I put side and end sills on the riding car.  I was going to make the car 17 inches wide but decided to narrow it to just under 16 inches.  Nancy helped me by holding the flat with frame attached as we pushed it through the table saw.







Afterwards I started cutting down a pallet to see if I could make car siding.










   The goal is 3 inch wide with chamfers.  These were just under six inches in 1/8th scale.
 My attempt at adding a center chamfer failed.





Overall a good day with good lessons learned for making my own car siding with individual boards.

Thursday, December 17, 2015

riding car

While the laser cutter is munching on my CAD file turning it into parts for #2 I bit the bullet and started work on the riding car again.

A week ago I cut my last square of plywood into two flat car blanks.  Then two nights ago I glued some delamination in both car blanks.  Tonight I turned a 2x6 into four 1/2x3s on the table saw, then on one set I trimmed it down to 1-1/2" at the ends to give a thicker sill in the middle.

I also cut one of the two end sills.  Parked the pink flat under the workbench and moved around a bunch of wood.   Looking around it is about time I cleaned and organized the shop.


Saturday, December 12, 2015

Designed

This week I think I reached the point of design where I can turn over to manufacturing.  In this case I am getting three parts manufactured for me.  The main frame plate, and two motor mounts.  All out of 3/16th thick material.  I have not drawn in the brakes, electronics, etc... I think there will be a tray on top to hold all that stuff.  
 In the drawing below I forgot to move the inner pillow block in the end view...
searching google Official Equipment Registers the 1904 edition lists width as 8 foot and 5'11" tall no length for cars 4000 to 9999  1600 cars total  same for 1901 with lengths 28 to 32 feet.  I do not think the cars existed.  there are 4 wheel hopper cars, 20 of them in 1901.
the June 1896 lists length of cars 4000 to 6222 as  28 to 30  width 8' and height 5'11"  capacity 28 to 40000  sounds like the cars were gone already.  
June 1890 nothing in that range of numbers  cars 3502 to 3700 are listed as 4 wheel 19.4' il 8'w and 5'11" tall  29000 capacity  same for 15701 to 16000 and 17451 to 17855  AND Harlem division cars 850 to 950 and maybe 950 to 1150 
the 1891 register is giving the same information as the year before.  
in 1893  the range 4601 to 4710 were for stock cars of 28 to 30 feet long.  only 4 wheel cars exist on the Harlem division.  

Monday, December 07, 2015

Sprockets

Playing around with the placement of the motors, jack shaft, etc.  

Robb advised me to have both motors face the same way and the chain towards the outside.  The advantage is there will be space available by the second door, for a battery charger, toolbox, or what not else.  While I did some mocking up with the parts, most of the time was spend in AutoCAD.