Sunday, June 05, 2022

Top Tenons done

 

I worked on the 70 year old bridge again.   Replacing more broken Z bracing.   It was cardboard and brittle.  The new ones are stripwood and brittle.  I am almost complete on the project.   Maybe one or two more sessions and it will be ready for paint.
I also squared up the top tenons in the legs.  It was hard to keep all four sides in plane with the top cross members.  
Nancy made three good pens and a 'purse pen'  The dark redwood was not behaving so it got too thin, then when put together the CA on the outside cracked and got cloudy.  
One issue of the bridge is it had a 21 foot clearance.  Modern doublestacks need 23 feet.  We decided to remove all the wood braces from the end and reapply them at different angles to give the clearance.  It is more work but most photogenic and realistic option.  
It feels good to have another step complete on the bench.  
I plan to set the bench to level and mark the bottom of the legs and remove a 1/2" to set it to level in the given location of the garage.  It may, if I decide to move it, not be level in another spot, but that is something I will deal with then.   If the floor is more than 1/2" out of level in the six foot distance I will rethink my plan.

No comments: