Saturday, January 06, 2024

Desk and Boxcar

Found an example in a Soo Line History book of what I want to do in On30.
A photo of my two larger planes.  A 9" long sweetheart #5 and a 12" #4 for roughing.
I used them to flatten the top for my desk.   This is a case where having the pictures in order will tell the story from glued to the plywood, epoxy the holes, flatten the top, sand, stain. 

Nancy, Anna and I went up to a book store in Denton.  On the way home we stopped at Kimzey Coffee.  Anna and I were enthralled with the architecture and decor.   
The stain, English chestnut, looks purple under the bright white LED, it looks warm and red under an incandescent.  
Another photo of building the Soo.
I did use the power planer as a first pass.  Even so my arms hurt.  I made sure to use my right arm as I favor my left.  My right arm hurts more than the left.


This shot of trains in black hills, three levels.  

After getting flat we flooded it with rubbing alc to see if we like the color, or wanted it darker.  This raised the grain, then Nancy went over one last time with sandpaper to 220 and the plane set to a .003" shaving.
I thought of fuming the oak, but that would have make it more grey tabaco than dark brown.

I also am adding the details to the boxcar.  
We will end with the look after doing epoxy and before flattening.  Nancy will add more epoxy and we will sand back to a flat final look.  Then I need to work on the underside to attach the legs, bracing, etc.  
 

No comments: