Sunday, December 11, 2016

Ductwork planning

This weekend I continued the work on the dust collector system.  I had to move the cyclone away from the garage door about a foot.  So Nancy and I took down the three things, moved the french cleats and reinstalled the three components.  I had to modify the shelf above the garage for clearance.  I used the 5 inch flex tube that came with the dust collector to connect the bags up.  Next is to make a strap or shelf to hold the tube out of the way of the garage door.
Also is a bit of planning.  At the top and bottom of the dust collector is a 9 degree slow sweep elbow.  On the upright is one 4 inch inlet, but I need to install a few more in the garage, and certainly many more in the basement.
Speaking of the basement, how to get from the garage to the basement?  As I do not want to cut concrete I need to enter at the joist level.  In the lefthand corner of the shop, well 30 inches over towards the drillpress.  The issues are
1. There is a heat duct to our bedroom in the last 8 inches of the wall between the garage and house.
2. The last 50 inches of joists are turned long ways and I can not cut through them.
3. All the crossways joists have heating ductwork in them, to the living room or the bedroom.
4. I don't have many good 7 inch fittings, well actually I have quite a few but are they the right ones?
The seven inch are standing up in front.
The six inch by the work light.
The five inch by the tugger.
The four, three, and two inch is on the floor laying down.  The stuff larger than 7 inch and flex hose is by the garage door, so is the plastic, except the long pipes of 4" plastic that I stored under the deck.

So 4 inch pipe and smaller to the individual machines.  Stay as large as possible, use what I have, avoid sharp turns, use the higher quality parts, and allow for changes later.

Back to the second picture:
Coming from the cyclone on the left, I have a 90 degree , then I have a choice, turn 90 into the shop, which means I run out of 90's, am in joists of the shop, without seven inch components to change directions.  Or I can use my one 7-7-7 joint, keep one straight and the other go into the basement.  Then use my 90 to aim downward on the wall.  I like that idea.  I think I can do it with only minor modifications to the supporting structure of the house.  I think I will have to sister some steel to a joist for peace of mind.

Once I am aiming down the wall what do I do?
I have to go left for some machines, and right, around the corner following the walls to the desk for others.  The highest I would be, about 3 feet from the ceiling.  The lowest is the floor.  What height should I do?  If  I ever add windows I don't want to move the ductwork.  I don't want the extra corners to get to the ceiling.  I don't want to use sharp elbows.  I think I will do just below the window level, with the drops aimed down.  Oh and I used my only 777 joint.  I do have one 666 that is a 180 / 30.  I would like a 45 45.  I have a 777 that is a sharp 90.  Is it a good idea to use a sharp 90 so early in the system?  Do I buy a component?  Do I buy low gauge or high gauge?  I looked online

No comments: