Tuesday, April 21, 2015

electrical

 This is not electrical but it is a picture of a 140 year old building that used rail as part of the construction.  I am not sure why, but in other places it can be seen the rail extends all the way through.  I heard this started out as a grainery but it is located in the middle of a very large railroad facility with steam engine rebuilding, passenger car rebuilding etc etc... not somewhere I would think they would have a grainery.  This building had narrow gauge tracks in the floor.  Those were removed last year as a project of flattening the floor.  It is now a warehouse... for railcar parts.
 Here is a test circuit for my enable.  It works.  Looking at the drawing below the test switch is front center with a black / green connection.  The stop button is towards the back with white leads, behind it is the start button.  then the relay has yellow, black, red, and green.
The stop switch is temporary, ordered the correct one on ebay yesterday, same with connectors for the relay.  The one part that is not in the test that I wanted is the master power.  I was going to use the 16a 250v switch on the lower left... but Robb let me know that switches don't scale the way I thought the did.  I really need a switch capable of the 50A service provided.  This one will work... but may not fit the space I have available.   Robb says I could try out the switch I have, or I could skip it and use the battery connector as master switch.

If with the small batteries that would mean pulling wood top, pulling toggle, replacing wood top.   For large it would be remove crate, disconnect, replace crate.  Because of extra wires that run through the big crate it is not quite that simple, unless I reroute the speed & amp box.

As I plan to have a second loco I think that one will have more features, and this one will be simpler.  I can run the headlight on off via one of the extra relay contacts and that will tell me when enable is live.

No comments: