Saturday, August 02, 2014

New wood top

Yesterday I drilled all the holes in the steel strap.  48 holes for 4 screws per board.  I also countersunk all the holes with the drill press.   Then Nancy painted the two straps and 4 pins from 9pm until 10pm last night.

This morning they were dry.  I took my time to square up the two end boards, then I clamped and screwed them in.  after those two boards were well positioned I moved on to filling in the gap.  One trouble was getting the pilot hole in the wood centered in the steel hole.  If it is off center the screw moves the board.  I clamped some steel on the outside of each board to keep them all in line.  Then I found a roll pin.  This centered the drill bit, and had the added benefit of setting the depth of the drilling.  Worked quite well.
 Now the second top is complete.  All that is remaining this week is to make some mud flaps to protect the electronics from grime that the wheels may kick up.
Of course there are other things that need completion.  Wire up the headlight, install a new arduino based control system, touchup the paint, make the spiral spoke riding cars, and make a second larger engine.  But as of now we are ready for the Buckeye Limited.

No comments: