Sunday, May 11, 2014

Trucks and Couplers

Today I made a second set of trucks.  Nancy took pictures while I worked.

I bent the trucks the same way Nelson does at http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Small%20Projects/Trucks/Trucks.htm.




 A template bar is used to drill the holes in the shorter arches.  Note that the top and bottom arches have the same offset.  Also I used all 1/2x1/8th hot rolled steel.  Nelson uses 3 different thicknesses.

 Deburr everything.
 Then to drill the outer holes on the middle arch bolt the two parts together and clamp the outer edge, then use the top arch as a drilling template.
 The idea for the springs / side frame / bolster interface came from a picture of the trucks Plum Cove sells.  http://www.plumcovestudios.com/trucks_01.html, while not prototypical it can be made in the shop with a saw and a drill.  The middle arches were drilled with the top arch used as a template, bolt the spring bolts in place and clamp the outer ends.
 The journals are made from oak for R8 bearings.  I got the idea of using wood from Laurance Johnson, his CD's are forsale at http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/books/books.html.





The end result of the day, two trucks less wheel sets.  Those are at my brothers house.  Anna posed the mannequin tightening one of the bolts, I wish I was that flexible.

After dinner I went back downstairs and made drawbars for between each piece of rolling stock, no pictures, Nancy was putting the kids to bed.

I think other than loading the vehicle all I have left to do is charge the small batteries and mount the large ones on the auxiliary top.

No comments: