Monday, February 04, 2008

"Not Far From The Kingdom Of God"



Mark 12:34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God."


........What is close to the Kingdom of God?

Mark 12:33 "To love him [God] with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."





So often when studing this passage my teachers have focused on the the red letter verses of Mark 12:29-31. Not on the response of the teacher of the law.





As Nancy had said our heart broke in ChainMai seeing the long neck people. Living a life on show, actors on a stage they really don't want to be on to eak out a few dollars. They are away from their home they love, the peace and traditions they crave. How they need love. If I was called to long term overseas mission I think I would be involved at a resort, a place for christians to relax and see the world as God sees it. And to reach people like this teen, as real people. Nancy and I could feel her tension, she fully represents her people, her internal struggle showed, the older women were broken, the younger ones did not know yet.





But for now while I would love to show this teen God's love, she is not my neighbor, right now so many others are. Help me not to become so used to my neighbors that my heart does not break like it does for that teen.

Back to Mark 12:
I wonder why the man is only close to the Kingdom of God, what is between where he is and where he needs to go?

I wonder what are my burnt offerings and sacrifices.

I cry out to God that I want to love Him more.




Both verses taken from the NIV Bible.

No comments: