Saturday, June 09, 2007

Choices

A week ago Dave gave me his list of news and blogging websites he watches via Google reader. Instantly I went from reading updates from six sites to 156. About 200 posts or more a day.
This was to many sites, 1000 posts a week or more. So this week I cull the sites, the first 25 were easy, It took a lot of work to get down to 100, then I was on a roll and deleted left and right to 60. Then slowly last night I looked at past posts for those sites with the hand on the delete button, Now I am down to 50 sites.
I had no new items to read last night at 10pm. Now, 18 hours latter I checked again, there was 24 updates, they took me 1 hour to read, even skipping several of them.

So over this week of reading what was important? A couple things were funny, a couple things were cute, and a couple were thought provoking. And I remember about 5 things of the 1000 updates from the week.

(Guess what Google reader does not have search capability on the reader site! WOW! else there would be 5 links right here.)

The most important of those five for me is an article talking about choosing each morning which 3 productive things you WILL accomplish that day. It is kinda like Randy Carlson http://www.theintentionallife.com/ always says, live an intentional life, think ahead and do the right thing. It is so easy to just let life happen to us.

Would I place spending 2 hours on a website reading on my to do list?
No.
Will I now delete all the rest of the sites?
No.
I am going to cut down the list so that I can read it in about 1/2 to 1 hour a day. The rest will go into a file for checking occasionally.

What are the primary goals of my life?
1) India
2) regrade the side of my in laws house
3) intentionally interact with Anna, teaching her things

What are your intentional goals for life?

2 comments:

cathy said...

to buy a house

be more understanding/calm/patient with my 14 yr. daughter

eat/cook healthier

cathy said...

to buy a house

be more patient/calm/understanding with my 14yr. daughter

eat/cook healthier