Friday, January 26, 2007

A Joyful Noise



Last night at New Community we sang the song "Make A Joyful Noise." Usually with this song the thought is of a cowboy yell. But I thought back to a different sound, something so invasive it shakes the entire body. The low grumble of a diesel train. I have so many times driven along side trains as they parallel Chicago Drive from Jenison to Holland. I don't know why but I found the red Soo engines to be the most impressive. But it is a small picture of how powerful Our God is.

When I set out to give you a picture of these trains I found this one gleaned off the Internet many years ago. It is not along the line, but it is a location I know well. The Judd end of CSX Wyoming yard. I can hardly remember a day as a child that my dad did not go down here and park. This place was so important for a time in our family that my brothers bought a house a half mile away. Those times sitting with my dad waiting patiently and not so patiently for the next train to come. The back and forth action of switchers sorting trains. The local switcher that would go to the industries behind the camera. (That was a real treat to me.) The other railfans who used to come to see the sights, talk and gossip. Conversations in our family did not happen unless it involved trains. Trips did not happen in our family unless it involved trains. I had a girlfriend who could not grasp this.

Trains are cool, and they still play a part in my life. I have a lot of stuff for building model railroads. I read magazines, I see Christian metaphors in trains. But Christ is more important. If God asked me to let go of all my trains I would. Recently I did ask if I should, I cried when the answer was no you keep them. My job, my future plans, and so many other things were taken away to be told I can keep little toys is so amazing. The good news is that it is not the only way to talk to my father and brothers anymore. Though it is one way.

No comments: